Friday, October 23, 2009

Day Fifteen - Fall Color Around Town










When I first started to do photograph, I read somewhere that the novice tried for grand vistas in there search for fall color, but the person who wrote the article suggested that you get up close and personal with the color your trying to photograph.

My online teacher Carol Leigh (see sidebar for links) in one of her classes taught us that if we moved just inches around the object we were photographing we could change the color of the background.

Both of these ideas I think have helped me get the kind of fall color that I'm after.

Lisl Dennis in her book, The Traveler's Eye", she quotes photojournalist Robert Capa who said "If your photographs aren't strong enough, you're not close enough". Lisl said, "The farther in I moved, the more control I had over the subject". Lisl said, Capa's statement further influenced her to "optical intimacy with her subject. "Optical intimacy", is one of the thing I feel that I am after in the items I photograph, and didn't know how to express it until Lisl put it into words.

The last photo in the group is my favorite photo, it is fun when you can get the background to match perfect with what you are trying to photograph.

Quote of the Day: 'Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.' - Albert Camus

No comments:

Post a Comment